Thursday, February 1, 2024

Episode [372] - Subcultures, Part 1 - February 1, 2024

The Podcast thats Part 1 of 2, but Part 2 is yet to happen



Participants

  • Ian Karmel: a "staunch, staunch conservative" who still loves San Francisco, playing Phoenix and a sold out Chicago this week, Sports Drink in New Orleans March 8th and 9th, the Punchline in San Francisco March 13th through 16th, Revolution Hall in Portland March 23rd, and Boise March 21st
  • Sean Jordan: dates up at Sean Jordan Comedy, including Bend, New Orleans, and Boise alongside Ian
  • David Gborie: plugging AFE's live dates and season two of Royal Crackers on Adult Swim/Max, also dropped the bit about spending 20 racks at the "Hermes" in Sioux Falls
  • Moshe Kasher (guest, comedian and author): new book Subculture Vulture out now, on a book tour through Austin, New York, DC, Portland, San Francisco, and Los Angeles, stand-up dates at the Den Theater in Chicago and the Bell House in Brooklyn this spring, and a Netflix special taping in May at the Troubadour

Draft Order: Moshe, David, Sean, Ian

Serpentine Explanation: Like scraping a windshield, which the others immediately argued was wrong ("you don't squeegee back like that").

Round 1

Pick 1.1 | Moshe Kasher | Raves

Pick 1.2 | David Gborie | Gambling

Pick 1.3 | Sean Jordan | Skateboarding

Pick 1.4 | Ian Karmel | Improv comedy

Round 2 (incomplete, part 1 ends here)

Pick 2.1 | Ian Karmel | MMO RPGs

Pick 2.2 | Sean Jordan | Underground hip hop

Pick 2.3 | David Gborie | Black fishermen

Pick 2.4 | Moshe Kasher | Deafness

The draft was still going when they ran out of time. No producer's pick or honorable mentions have come up yet. Rounds 3 through 5 will be in Part 2.

Quotes From This Episode

  • "It's like scraping your windshield." - David Gborie, fumbling the serpentine draft explanation
  • "I fell, hit my head, but I was like, that's it." - Sean Jordan, on the first time he ever stepped on a skateboard
  • "I was the original M&M. That's all I'm saying." - Moshe Kasher, on his childhood rap alias
  • "This thing's Ethan Allen, baby. That's what I'm giving you." - David Gborie, on betting furniture in a dice game
  • "So you're playing M&Ms and he's peanut." - Ian Karmel, riffing on Moshe's rap name story
  • "I stuffed it into a sock because I don't know what's waiting for me." - Moshe Kasher, on his makeshift rave weapon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Episode [506] - Shower Thoughts - August 27, 2026

Rejoice, All Family, for the Big Dog is back. Participants Ian Karmel: plugging the AFE 10 year anniversary show at the Aladdin Theate...